Tuesday, December 28, 2010

SUCCESSFUL FAILING...

"You haven't succeeded until you have failed successfully."


Some of the most successful business women and men in the world have one thing in common; they have all failed at one time or another in their pursuit of success. Most have failed multiple times over the course of their journey. Success is working hard at what you’re good at, and the reason so many people fail at becoming successful is because they are trying to do something that is not their dream or purpose.

Over the years, I have started more businesses than I care to count. In retrospect, I perceived myself as a “people pleaser” and my insecurity prompted me into businesses that were not reflective of my true, authentic self. In other words, I ended up doing businesses where I thought people would like or accept me. None of these lasted very long, because I soon tired of trying to please people instead of myself. With each endeavor, I became more aware of what was authentic for me. It was natural for me to help others to become more aware of their talents and inner-strengths. The challenge was finding a way to do this without compromising my livelihood and still be able to give something as a bonus. This would become a search that would last many years, going from bad to worse and back again. Still, I continued searching for that which was expressive of my authentic self.

Successful failing means having a willingness to fail as many times as it takes to get it right – right for you. The distinction of successful failing and just failing is simple: with successful failing you plan the next endeavor without hesitation and expect success. With failing, you quit and return to the status quo, putting your dreams on hold and living a life unfulfilled.

There is one vital lesson in the journey to success that I will share with you now, and that is, do not allow other people to convince you that they know better of your dreams than you do. What will happen is they will eventually sidetrack you and have you traveling down their road to success. You will not be satisfied in the long term and you will discover that you’re on the wrong track. Do not beat yourself up for wasting time. Get back on the right track and continue on your path to success. No one knows better than you, what your potential is and what you are capable of achieving. Get comfortable with this reality and start living successfully.

Shortcuts and success are never spoken in the same sentence, so do not expect to get there quick. Be willing to go through the process of attaining success and you will find this is a great deterrent for failure.

Each failure reveals more of yourself to you and the world. Embrace it…learn from it….and, grow on to the next level.


******

Kim Harris is a possibility living coach sharing simple principles with her clients that help them step into their greatest possibilities. view sourceprint?1

No comments: